2020 MSCA Steak Dinner Calf Show and Auction Rules & Regulations
Founded in 1941, Madisonville Sidewalk Cattlemen’s Association is the oldest, continuously operating non‐profit organization in the state of Texas. During this time, it has been our goal to continually support the youth of our community. We are pleased to announce that we will feature a range heifer show and auction as part of our 2020 steak dinner which will be held on Saturday May 2th, 2020.
This show will only be open to local 4‐H and FFA members who compete in the Madison County Fair in the Penned Heifer Division.
- 100% of the proceeds from the original heifer sale will go directly to the contestant.
- ONLY animals that are an alternate which are NOT shown at the Madison County Fair are
- Contestants will be judged based on the following:
There will be 3 different essay topics based on the age of the contestant:
Intermediate‐ What have you learned about beef cattle with your project?
Junior High‐ What practices are best for developing a healthy beef herd?
High School‐ What are the pros & cons of an organically raised beef herd?
- Essay Length
Intermediate‐ 200 Words
Junior High‐ 400 Words
High School‐ 600 Words
ALL ESSAYS SHOULD BE TYPED.
An interview will be conducted with one or more of the MSCA officers regarding
each competitor’s experiences with their project.
Heifers will be judged on overall conformation of the ideal replacement heifer.
*** The sign‐up deadline to participate in the MSCA Calf Show & Auction will be March 27th, 2020. *** All essays should be completed & turned in to an MSCA officer before 5pm April 10th, 2020. *** Interviews will be held on April 16th and 17th, 2020.
- A time for the interviews can be scheduled by contacting any of the MSCA officers. *** Judging of the heifers will be conducted on Saturday, May 2, 2020 at the MSCA Pavilion.
- All calves should be delivered BEFORE 3 PM that day.
- Participants need to provide a portable water receptacle and sufficient hay and/or feed for their
- Heifer will be inspected for physical soundness and may also be disqualified for an overly
- ONLY ALTERNATE CALVES WITH THE BLUE MADISON COUNTY FAIR EAR TAG WILL BE ADMITTED.
- Ear tags will be crosschecked against tags checked in at the Madison County Fair. Any animals that were checked in and shown at the Fair will be disqualified.
- Final disposition/delivery of the calf will be worked out between final buyer and seller at no
charge to the buyer. MSCA will not arrange for hauling of calves.
- All animals will be removed from grounds by 1pm the following day.
*** Up to 10 participants will be called back for interviews after the essays are judged. Of these 10 participants, 4 winners will be selected.
The winning contestants will be judged based on the following:
- The day of the sale, the projects will be judged for Grand Champion and placing in sale order
- 1st place in Essay/Interview will be awarded Showmanship belt buckle
- 1st place in sale order will be awarded Grand Champion belt buckle
- Seller MUST BE PRESENT for live auction at dinner that night .
MSCA Officers can be contacted at the following numbers:
- Brent Viator 979‐820‐2525
- Danny Wilkerson 903‐394‐1498
- DL Shiver 936‐348‐1006
- Jim Nash 903‐391‐4295
If you have any questions at any time, please feel free to contact one of the officers listed above. We look forward to a competitive show & auction